As water evaporates during drying, the fruit shrinks in size and the remaining nutrients become more concentrated. In spite of the size differences, ChooseMyPlate.gov makes it easy to compare dried to fresh fruit because it defines 1/2 cup of dried fruit as equal to 1 cup of fresh fruit. Fruits are often treated before being dried to preserve the natural color and prevent bacterial growth. The treatments may be natural substances, such as lemon juice and vitamin C, or they may consist of sulfur or sulfites. If you have asthma or you’re allergic to sulfites, avoid treated dried fruit.
Sulphites are substances that are naturally found in some foods. They are used as an additive to maintain food colour, shelf-life and prevent the growth of fungi or bacteria. Sulphites are also used in food packaging like cellophane.